Monday, October 29, 2007

CraZy

You know, the whole Blue tooth cell phone head device thing has really blurred the line between normal people who talk on their phone in public and crazy people who talk to themselves in public. It's like, now, I feel the need to question it every time I see someone just chatting into open air. Are they talking to their mom on the phone? Or to the purple unicorn they see standing on the sidewalk? Who knows?

Today, I was driving to my grandparents' house and stopped at a stop sign. Across the intersection from me a guy had his head thrown back completely in a wide mouth, show-me-every-single-molar kind of laugh. And he was talking. There was no one in the car with him. So, I wondered... crazy? Considering he was driving a Jaguar and wearing a business suit, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. His laugh was probably less of an evil plan Count Dracula laugh and more of a "Oh haha, dear, don't be silly, of course we're not going on holiday to St. Tropez. You know we always go to St. Barts," or a "Haha, you're so funny Tom, with your talk of flying commercial." At least, that's what I'd be laughing about if I was a business man in a Jag. So yeah, he probably had a little ear piece hidden under his overgrown frat boy shaggy hair cut.

However, it's hard to say. A few days ago I was in the produce section at the grocery store, innocently trying to decide if there really was any merit to that whole "apple a day" thing when I hear the woman to my left begin speaking. It was one of those things where I initially thought she was talking to me so I looked at her, but she was totally focused on the fruit in front of her. She looked pretty normal so I assumed it was the ear piece trick again. Then I focused on what she was saying: "You are so pretty and plump." That didn't sound right. Maybe she was talking to someone who didn't mind being called plump? Seemed odd. And then she went on "You are going to be so sweet and delicious." Oh yeah. She was talking to a grapefruit. She picked it up and stared at it. I decided it was time to move on to the cheese department which is exactly where I should have been in the first place. You don't see crazy people in the cheese section. Just happy people.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

No one is more excited that you are blogging again than me. I am THE most excited. THRILLED in fact. I will be checking every day.

London! Whoo!

Ethan said...

I won't try to compete with Jenn's level of excitement, but suffice to say, I'm reasonably happy that you are blogging again. Could this reintroduction into the blog world mean you've left the Atlantan with their Big Brother-esque statutes regarding online journals? Or are you simply going underground as a diary vigilante taking your message to the streets and secretly publishing news about Rosie any way you can? Regardless, good to see you writing down the weird thoughts that go through your head and I will add this url to my RSS feed.