Saturday, November 3, 2007

A Friday

So yesterday I got to go visit the Ron Clark Academy and it was awesome. If you've never heard of Ron Clark, I'd suggest a quick google search. The man is amazing. And I don't mean that in the obligatory you-have-to-say-he's-amazing-cause-he-helps-little-kids way. Because I am close friends with people who help little kids. And, truth be told, they're pretty amazing too. But, he's amazing because he's actually different from anyone I've ever seen. He brings an energy to any situation (and especially to a classroom) that I've really never seen anything else like.

After I went to the school I was very excited about it. So I called my parents to share. That conversation went something like this:

Me: So today we got to do something really inspiring at work. We went to the Ron Clark Academy.
My Dad: You went to the Alarm Clock Academy?
Me: Yeah, we went to the Alarm Clock Academy. It's the place that trains the people who make alarm clocks. I was totally inspired.

Eventually we got back on track after that, but then somehow things got confusing again.

Me: Yeah, they made a movie about him and Matthew Perry played him.
My Dad: Oh, so of course you watched that since he's one of your Friends.
Me: Well, yeah, obviously. So anyway, the school is south of Atlanta, but the children are brought in from all of the city. Most of them are minorities and they're all different levels as far as abilities.
My Mom: Is Ron Clark black?
Me: Yeah, he is. They had Matthew Perry play a black man. Which was a little confusing at times, and probably kind of insulting to some people, but it worked out fine.
My Mom: Really?
Me: No.

So, after some confusion, I was able to express how impressed I had been with this school. I think it is the stuff like this-getting to see something like this school-that makes me love my job. There are days when I think I'm going to go crazy if I have to write one more article about socialites and ludicrously expensive clothing, but then I get the opportunity to be inspired on a random Friday afternoon. And that's pretty cool.

No comments: