Friday, May 2, 2008

John Cusack and Jesus

I feel like people who are really into movies started liking John Cusack when he was in Sixteen Candles or maybe Grosse Pointe Blank. And I think people who are cool probably went for him when he was in High Fidelity. Intellectuals probably enjoyed him in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

Personally though, I can't really claim to fall into any of those categories. I fell for him in Serendipity because I'm a sucker for chick flicks and fate, and then Runaway Jury sealed the deal because I can't resist a good John Grisham novel-turned-movie. Don't even get me started on my feelings on Matthew McConaughey post A Time to Kill.

Anyway, for their June issue, Vanity Fair has Cusack on their back page. Each month the magazine's back page features a Proust Questionnaire on a celebrity who they think is doing something pretty cool. I've actually voiced in the past that I'd hate to be on the back page because half the people who show up there are so old that they seem to die shortly after appearing there. (This is a blatant and obvious lie as I would give my right arm to have my name appear anywhere in Vanity Fair.) However, he's obviously not old so chances are, he'll live through this- something I'm pretty pleased about because based on his answers, I'd like to continue to hear what he has to say. My favorite excerpt is below:

VF: Who are your heroes in real life?
Cusack: Let's go with Jesus. Not the gay-hating, war-making political tool of the right, but the outcast, subversive, supreme adept who preferred the freaks and lepers and despised and doomed to the rich and powerful. The man Garry Wills describes "with the future in his eyes...paradoxically calming and provoking," and whom Flannery O'Connor saw as "the ragged figure who moves from tree to tree in the back of [one's] mind."

2 comments:

Jenn said...

You should see how precious he is in "Better off Dead" and "The Sure Thing." My Cusack love runs deep. Save that VF for me! I want to read his interview.

Unknown said...

I fell in love with him after "Say Anything." And now after seeing that he has quoted Flannery O'Connor, I think I just fell in love him all over again...