Monday, May 5, 2008

Life. Currently.

Ah, unemployment.

It has some downfalls. Like, even cheeseburgers seem a little overpriced these days. Putting $20 worth of gas in my car this morning was like I was making a major life investment. Considering I pretty much spent my life savings on fake handbags and scarves in Thailand, I really have no one to blame for this but myself.

Another drawback to unemployment is the fact that my current situation kind of inhibits me from renting my own place. So, I'm living with my parents, which is actually quite nice at times. However, yesterday, when my mom explained to me the "living here means helping out around here" philosophy and that that philosophy also meant "wheelbarrowing sticks from the flower beds to the gully down the field for all of Sunday afternoon," I have to say I started to see some glitches in my "hanging around the rent-free house indefinitely" plan. Those glitches became even more apparent as I had to load Rosie into the wheelbarrow and run through the high grass dragging it in fear that a snake was going to bite me. I'm just not cut out for yard work.

Anyway, so unemployment and living with your parents at 26 isn't perfect. But it's not bad either. My mom cooks my meals. I spend a lot of time outside. And a fair amount in bed. I get to meet friends for lunch. And stay up late watching movies. It's like I'm getting to have a summer vacation and I'm appreciating it more than I ever did when I actually got to have summer vacations. Kids these days just don't know how good they have it.

I hit the peak of the benefits of unemployment today when I took an impromptu (on my part) trip with Jenn to Charleston to help with a few preparations for her upcoming wedding. When you've got no plans, hopping in a car and "helping" with things like cupcake sampling (something I've been waiting for the opportunity to "help" with my entire life) is totally possible.

So, while I may never be able to entirely fill up the tank of my SUV at one time again, I will have had my cupcake sampling experience. And I'm pretty sure that qualifies as priceless.