Tuesday, November 20, 2007

It's that Good

I get stuck on things. I guess I’ve always done this. If I like something, then I over do it way past the point of normalcy. Like, if I find a song I enjoy, then chances are, I play the song somewhere close to 4567889 times before I move on to another. People constantly tell me a song reminds them of me because they heard it so many times in my car or my house. Other people tell me to turn off that f’ing song I’ve been playing over and over again. The response varies.

But I really can’t stop being this way. I like spaghetti with meat sauce lean cuisines and I’d say I’ve eaten close to 150 of them in the last year. Maybe more. I enjoy orbitz gum and well, I’m chewing it right now. And will be tomorrow. And the day after that. You get the point. Some people would call this obsessive compulsive. It could go hand in hand with my love of vacuuming and my need for there to be no wrinkles in my bedspread. But I think I just know a good thing when I see it and I don’t see any point and moving on until I’ve enjoyed the heck out of it.

So, several weeks ago I discovered a new obsession. I was interviewing a potential intern for my office and had said that we should “grab coffee” together to talk. Mind you, I don’t really drink coffee. I just thought it sounded like the right thing to do. You know, it’s what people do. So, when we went down to the coffee shop, I ordered a latte. And whoa. It blew my mind. I cannot express how deliciously sweet this latte was. I wanted another immediately,but due to me still trying to be cool with the whole “grabbing a coffee” thing, I restrained myself.

However, the next day, I eagerly made the trip back down to the coffee shop for another latte. Imagine my surprise when the woman who works there told me that she didn’t know how to make lattes and her sister (who does know how) had already left for the day. I felt dejected.

That was a Friday. So I waited all weekend until the following Monday, and again, I returned to the shop, ready for my latte. This time I was told that her sister only works certain hours on Fridays and Mondays and I was too late. I almost cried.

However, that Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, I happily purchased and enjoyed my lattes. I was gone Friday and had to live without the latte. Then Monday came and again, I was back at the coffee shop. (See, I told you, I get a little obsessive.) I knew that Mondays were tricky days as far as hours of lattes, so I purposefully went early.

Now, by this point, everyone in my office had begun to notice my frequent trips. Also, I’m not one to keep quiet about food so I’d been really talking up the lattes and making sure my pain was known by everyone when they weren’t there. In fact, one of my co-workers had even told me that she thought I might be intimidating the small Asian sisters who run the coffee shop. She insinuated that they were probably a little afraid of the hulking, tall blond woman who came in daily, demanding her lattes.

When I got there, I decided my coworker might be right. The girl looked very nervous. And a little panicky. She explained that her sister had already left for the day and then she gave me a free large coffee. I felt a little bad. I also felt a little embarrassed to return to the office with my free coffee and my knowledge that I had managed to intimidate the coffee shop owners. But I figure by this point, I’ve given them enough business to make up for the free coffee. And this morning I was back again for my latte.

I suppose I’ll keep going back for at least another few weeks. Or until I realize that lattes are exactly health foods. Or maybe until someone points out to me that I’m supposed to be working at “work,” not stalking creamy coffee drinks and their makers.

No comments: