Monday, January 21, 2008

'ello mates!

In case you missed my last post (which I really can’t imagine that you’re not just constantly stuck on my page hitting renew in hopes that I’ve updated), I’m in London. And it’s awesome. I mean, it’s rainy, I’m taking public transportation and a diet coke cost like 4 dollars. But I love it. I don’t know what it is about this city, but it gets me every time. I can’t really figure out why though.

There are certainly things I love—like the variety of sandwiches offered. Why don’t we have things like pickle and cheddar sandwiches in the US? I would happily eat them any day. And I love skinny blueberry muffins are Starbucks. And real fish and chips. And, my newly learned love is that of South African grapes. This, they do not offer that at my local Kroger in Atlanta, but WOW. These things are good. I keep offering to share them with Jenn and then eating them all.

Anyway, I like things other than food here too. That just happens to always come to my mind first. Today Jenn and I meandered around Covent Garden for awhile and I remembered how I like the scent of the Lush store there and how the whole place smells like it. And I like public performers. Like the quartet we watched there for a while today.

I think I really like the people here though the most. I don’t know why. They’re not the friendliest group really. As Jenn noted in her blog today (so-calledwriter.tumblr.com – if you happen to read her blog, note that the shirt from H& M is not THAT bad. Something that will become obvious once I’ve purchased it and worn it. As I have every plan to do despite Jenn’s vehement negative feedback. I have a suspicion I’m actually going to have to sneak into an H&M to purchase it though.). Anyway, as she noted, our “rudeness” in Covent Garden led so some fairly unfriendly words. And on the tube it’s really every man for himself. As far as service in restaurants, every waiter/waitress we’ve had so far has tried to pretend we didn’t exist as long as possible. But I really like British people. Like, when I hear them talking to one another and when I actually engage one in conversation, I just like them. I mean, I like most people really, but I’m kind of partial to them.

I would like to note though that there are certain things British that perplex me, but that I enjoy because they seem so unusual:

On the streets at intersections they have written “Look Left” or “Look Right” – I can only assume this is because they drive on the wrong side of the road and therefore feel the need to help the rest of the world out so that we don’t get run over by one of their crazy drivers.

They insist that your credit card be signed. And then, they insist on checking your signature with the back of the credit card. This perplexes me every time. Is the guy at the cash register at the grocery store a handwriting expert in his spare time? And the woman at the drugstore? Her too?

They have some of the most random American movies ever on TV all the time. Last night Jenn and I watched “Election” with Reese Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick before falling asleep and today we keep watching Cheaper by the Dozen II. I’m sure there’s some reason behind this, but I don’t get it.

Ok, that’s all. This entry is most ending because I’m tired of writing, it’s my turn to shower and Hilary Duff just came on Cheaper by the Dozen and I don’t think I can handle watching this anymore.

No comments: