Saturday, March 15, 2008

Fiji!

So as it turns out, Fiji is pretty close to the equator. Which, while I was no science major, actually indicates that the sun is closer apparently. Something Laura and I learned very quickly yesterday when we turned into red lobsters by mid afternoon.

In addition to the sun burning problem, this also leads to quite a bit of heat. This morning, Laura and I accompanied several other guests from the resort where we're staying to church in the village on the island for Palm Sunday. I'm pretty sure I've never sweat that much in my life. (I know I've said this before, but seriously, it's true. I looked like I might as well have swam around the island for church.)

However, it was beautiful. In fact, everything is beautiful. The place, the people, the entire atmosphere is one where you can't help but relax. There are NO americans. Plenty of Brits, Canadians and Australians though and all very friendly. We've shared stories and heard plenty of traveling advice for our next stops.

Our room situation has been highly entertaining thus far. We're pretty sure there is at least one mouse living with us. He was kind enough to leave his droppings on the bed next time sometime last night. And there's definitely "the biggest lizard I've ever seen" (-Laura Birnbaum) living in our bathroom. Of course, it's an outdoor shower so he does kind of have some rights out there.

The room was just ours until about ten minutes ago when two guys from Vancouver moved in with us. Should be interesting. I'm hoping they're prepared to take care of that lizard and mouse for us.

Ok, internet costs too much here so it's time for me to go! Farewell!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

hmm yes. I am going to need to hear what it was like to room with two random men from vancouver. Thats just weird. I also love that you are calling this a resort when clearly it is just a misnomered "hostel". or perhaps "commune". Typically, resorts don't involve outdoor showers, room sharing, or rodents. Just saying.

I miss you SO much already and we really wish you could have been here with us this weekend, but I am glad you are already having fun and sweating your ass off in Fiji!!!!!!

I've got some fantastic stories to tell you... in like two months when you get back.