Monday, March 10, 2008

Hide and Peek

So I’m back home in Shelby and living the life of the unemployed. Which, I might add, is not so bad so far. Today, I got to sleep a little later than usual. Not much later really as living with Rosie prohibits really any kind of relaxing habits like sleeping late without loud barking noises occurring, eating a meal without the same said barking noises, or even taking a bath without the same affect. My parents are thrilled to be getting her for the next seven weeks.

So today, I decided to fully embrace my unemployment and go to Wal Mart. In my pajamas. I didn’t really intend to go in my pajamas. I actually consider the grey pants I wore today yoga pants (even though I’ve slept in them way more than I’ve ever done yoga in them. Considering I’ve never done yoga in them, this was a fairly easy feat). However, my mom pointed out to me several times that they are pajama pants, and, well, she’s probably right. And wearing pajamas fits better anyway for going to Wal Mart when you’re unemployed I feel.

I had to get a few last minute things for my trip at Wal Mart and my mom had some grocery shopping to do so we split up. And I immediately remembered why I avoid Wal Mart when I’m in Shelby. It is inevitable that you will see everyone you’ve ever known while you are there. Today was no exception.

As I am at a point in my life right now that is rather difficult to explain without people looking at me like I’m crazy (you’re quitting your job? You’re living with your parents? You’re traveling where?!) I’ve been avoiding human contact so as to avoid lying. It’s just hard. Like, at this point, my friends get it. I’ve told them what I’m doing and if they do think I’m crazy, they’ve had enough time to conceal that emotion so I don’t have to see them looking at me like I need to be committed.

Which is exactly what happens with other people. Which is why I lied to everyone in my condo complex. (I’m sorry everyone who lives in Chastain Court Condos, I didn’t get a job transfer and buy a new home in Charlotte. I made that up.) See? This is what happens when I’m forced to answer what’s going on in my life. So this is why today, when I saw my mom speaking to one of my high school friend’s mom, I hid in the plus size women’s section of the store.

As I lurked behind some rather large sweat pants, trying to peer around a rack of Hanes t-shirts to see if the conversation was coming to an end, it occurred to me that I might have gone over the edge. And that maybe I need to come to terms with the fact that while quitting your job and heading off to travel in southeast Asia sounds kind of eclectic, hiding from people among elastic waist band jeans is just plain crazy.

And so, I’m going to quit avoiding it. I’ll just tell people. And if they look at me like I’m crazy, that’s ok. At least I’m not hiding in Wal Mart.

4 comments:

The Mushrushs said...

Sarah,
I am so glad you emailed the link to your blog. I have been so blessed by reading it. Your 100% right, there is so much more to life than a busy series of meaningless conversations. I hope you have a wonderful time. I would love to do exactly what you are doing, so go and live it up for us all!
love you,
Haley

Brooke Lee said...

Sarah,
I know I haven't seen you in too long, but I just wanted you to know how much I enjoy reading your blog...I was so happy this year when you brought it back...you are a gifted writer but more than that, very insightful and witty. I am so envious of your upcoming trip...and believe me, it's not crazy to drop everything and go experience something new and exciting...I spent this past summer in a similar way. I wish you safety and fulfillment in your journey. I can't wait to hear/read all about it. You'll be in my thoughts.

Take care-
Brooke

Jenn said...

Considering that I am usually your only and most frequent commenter, I am more than a little disturbed that there are other people... very nice people it seems, but other people I do not know... commenting on your blog.

Nevertheless, I totally LOL'd when I found out you lied to everyone in your condo complex. Especially funny considering I just blogged about how I lied to everyone in my town home neighborhood as well.

You are in LA right now. I am trying to refrain from calling you.

chris barry said...

hahahahahahaha...that is f'ing awesome. I have been hiding from just about everyone I know (who doesn't know about my, um, "situation") and even went down to florida last week to hide, basically, from the world. At least you have the pacific ocean as a barrier. The "hiding in the plus-sized women's section" part really made me laugh.