Monday, March 3, 2008

Meal of Fortune

Tonight I had thai take out for dinner. That is what happens when you've packed everything you own and sent it two states away two weeks before you actually move out. That, and you spend an exceptional amount of time on your air mattress with your dachshund.

Anyway, so the lady at the restaurant gave me two fortune cookies. (This could be because I asked for two sets of chopsticks because I like to fool restaurant people into thinking I'm a light eater. "Oh yeah, definitely two sets of chopsticks. There's no way I could eat this entire pad thai myself," I usually say loudly enough for anyone within a ten foot radius to be able to hear.) So I ate the first fortune cookie, excited to see what it would tell me.

It read: You will obtain your goal if you maintain your course.

It's funny, fortune cookies are pretty much designed to be applicable to everyone and I'd imagine the creators of this cookie felt they'd done a good job with that, but they were wrong. Of all the cookies in all the world, that one just does not work for me right now because about two months ago I gave up all goals in life. With the possible exception of not dying from some odd southeastern asia virus, I've got nothing.

If you'd caught me a few months earlier my goals could have been promotion, more money, a better body, a bigger place, publish my novel, breed Rosie for money, learn how to speak a second language or any number of other random things. But I've kind of decided to take a break from life and goals and such and just live for a little while.

Lucky for me, there was another fortune cookie. I shared this one with Rosie so I guess this means we'll share the fortune. This one read: Tomorrow you will find the item you have been searching for.

Thank goodness. I can only assume this means I'll find my hairbrush which was lost in the move about a week ago leaving me with tangled hair for the last six days. And for Rosie, she hid a piece of pizza crust behind my printer a few days ago and I think she's forgotten it. Maybe I'll help fortune along on this one and point it out to her in the morning.

No comments: