Monday, March 3, 2008

Sounds Amazing

Packing for my upcoming world voyage is easily one of the harder things I've ever done. I am a notorious over packer. If I'm going on a weekend ski trip, chances are I've brought along a sundress just on the off chance Utah has a heat wave. If I'm at the beach, you can be certain I have sweatpants and sweatshirt. I'd say it's a matter of being prepared, but that's not it at all. Because inevitably I forget 90% of the things I actually need. For instance, last time I went to London, I didn't pack an umbrella for possibly the most notoriously rainy city in the world.

I have now packed and repacked my bag so many times I can't keep count. I come home at night and take out a sundress, wake up the next morning and put a new t-shirt in. I have packed pills for any illness that could occur, deet to ward off all those crazy encephalitis carrying mosquitoes and enough sunscreen to ensure that even with my "this makes you sensitive to the sun" malaria medicine I probably won't die of skin cancer before I return home.

In all of my packing, I am determined to make it so that I will be able to sleep during my seven weeks in hostel dorm rooms and on planes and trains in the middle of the night. So, I've purchased a few things to help. Yesterday I bought some mask and ear plugs at REI that are designed to block out ALL noise. I decided to give it a shot last night. I put the plugs in, looked at Rosie and let out a long howl. (Rosie howls along if you howl. One of her many talents.) And so Rosie began a long series of howling and barking that ensured (once again) that my neighbors will be none too sad to see us go. And, it was like a little miracle occured. I couldn't hear her. Amazing. I mean, there was, faintly, as if somewhere in the background the sound of a dog barking. But it was like a cute bark. Not the ear piercing, nails-on-chalkboard noise that usually comes from Rosie's little snout.

And so, for now, the earplugs are not packed. They are firmly in my ears. At this very moment. Because inevitably at some point this evening Rosie is going to hear another dog bark outside, or see a piece of dust fly across the room or notice that the ceiling fan goes around in circles or some other totally bark-worthy event will occur. And then she'll start with the yelps and I won't care. It is going to be awesome.

Ok, I'm back to packing. I've got sundresses to take out.

No comments: