Friday, February 29, 2008

Lucky Coincidence

Today I woke up for the second morning in a row at 6:30 a.m. to greet my electrician and landlord. There have been some issue with the lighting in my place and apparently this particular electrician likes early morning house calls. I don’t exactly understand how this works. I mean, you call the cable people and they’re like, “We’ll be there between 11 and 1” and then they show up at 3. Not this guy. 6:55 sharp.

Anyway, so, in an effort to make use of those extra early morning hours, I decided to take Rosie to the vet this morning for her final shots before she goes to the land of rabies and potential heartworm – otherwise known as my parent’s backyard in North Carolina.

Apparently though, I misunderstood the vet’s hours because even though the website says 7:30 a.m. opening, they don’t actually open until 8:30. So, as Rosie and I tried to burn an hour on that side of town (me, drinking a chai tea latte, Rosie, chewing on my March issue of British Vogue) I decided to give my brother a call.

This morning, he was departing from the Charlotte airport en route to Colombia (South America) where he will be backpacking the next two weeks before meeting us in Fiji. I figured I’d call and say “good bye, see you in Fiji,” that kind of thing – mostly because this will probably be the only time in my life I’ll get to do that.

After he picked up it occurred to me that I should probably confirm where we were meeting. (Keep in mind, I wasn’t even planning on having this conversation. And we’re not going to speak again until I see him in Fiji.) The conversation went something like this:

Me: You know where we’re meeting right?
Everett: I figured you were picking me up at the airport.
Me: No. We’re meeting at Smugglers Cove. Laura and I won’t get back from the islands until like 4:30 in the afternoon that day. And your flight gets in at 5 in the morning.
Everett: Smugglers Cove?
Me: Yes, the place we’re staying.
Everett: Where is that?
Me: In Nadi.
Everett: Close to the aiport?
Me: Yes, you can get a cab.
Everett: Good. I’ll see you there then.

This kind of conversation epitomizes everything that is different about us for this trip. And in life in general. On the top of my list of “things I’d never do,” flying from Colombia to an island in the south pacific and having no clue where I was going to meet up with people I know, ranks right up there.

It’s a good thing the electrician was early coming and the vet was late opening, else I may have never located my brother in Fiji. This is going to be a fun trip.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Seriously. If you all come back alive and with all your limbs and organs, I will be totally shocked.