Saturday, April 19, 2008

Finally!

So, as it turns out, uploading photos is a little bit trickier in Asia than in, say, Australia. However, after trying to upload on like 85 computers between here and Saigon, I was thrilled this evening to find an internet cafe in Koh Samui, Thailand where I could finally upload. (Of course, it wasn't simple. There are three computers in this "internet cafe" and I am on the third one I tried... so third one's the charm and all that.) It's also worth noting that this computer is somehow set to German so every word I type it says I've mispelled. Which I have. If I was typing in German.

Ok, so the pics from Vietnam are there. I'm going to add Thailand soon. And I actually have a few more to add to the "From Sydney" album, but, while this computer may be actually uploading the photos, it's not doing it at what one might call a rapid pace. Or really even an acceptable pace. Luckily, it's raining in Koh Samui today so this isn't cutting into beach time so much as 'watching old Stephen Baldwin movies with Thai subtitles' time.

Enjoy the pics - unfortunately I haven't been able to add any from my nice camera yet so you'll just have to make do with these mediocre random shots taken in a much lower resolution (read: resolution that doesn't actually make all of Thailand's power crash due to me trying to upload them).

And in case you're wondering what we're doing now (since Vietnam was like 4 days ago), I will share. We're currently on an island in southern Thailand at a VERY nice hotel (a little gift from my awesome parents!) and soaking up the life of luxury that includes a private swimming pool, ocean view and lots of cheesy American movies on TV. I have stuck to my plans of eating pad thai every day and have every intention of fulfilling that goal. I have also found that Thailand holds just as much of a problem as far as my weakness for purchasing fake goods as Vietnam. Maybe more. Everett and Laura have given up on me and typically just walk out of shops sighing once they realize I am about to begin bargaining for some fake Burberry, Mulberry or other random berry good.

Tomorrow is the night of the Full Moon Party. This party, which happens once a month on a smaller island called Koh Phangan just off the coast of Koh Samui, usually draws between 7 and 10 thousand people. And apparently its only rival in the world of backpacking debauchery is the insane street in Bangkok I mentioned before. We still don't know how we're going to get there or where we will sleep tomorrow night. But I guess that's half the glory of it. Personally though I'm just hoping desperately that it rains because as far as I can figure in this country the only chance for me not sweating my skin off is rain. I've never loved getting rained on more than I do in Thailand.

Ok, time for dinner. Hopefully more pad thai.

4 comments:

Ben said...

OK, so Jenn pointed me to your blog and I've been an interested yet silent reader over your travels. I will say the Full Moon party will be like nothing you've ever been to before ( a far cry form those Atlantan socialite parties). Koah San Road (I'm guessing that's the crazy street you mention) is pretty crazy but I'd keep an open mind for this puppy - you drink ridiculous "cocktails" out of buckets, get snakes put on your shoulders and I was personally molested by a ladyboy. Enjoy.

Ben said...

It's Ben by the way!

Jenn said...

I continue to be shocked that you've survived thus far on this trip, but I feel compelled to mention that having snakes around your shoulders and then having no hotel to go shower off in and catch a nap before moving on to your next travel segment doesn't seem like the greatest idea I've ever heard. However, there is always the hope that your tribulations will inspire another haiku... a hope I never let go of.

Are you coming home soon? How many times do I have to ask before you'll throw a girl a bone and answer me? I honestly don't know your homecoming date, and I am starting to feel improperly informed and thus hurt.

If you won't gift me with another haiku, then just the date that you (or your snake bitten body) will arrive back in the states.

SarahC said...

Comments from Ben and Jenn! It's almost too good to be true. Unfortunately I've already dealt with some molestation by a lady boy- but have thus far avoided snakes on my shoulders.

Jenn, I will arrive in Charlotte at 6 a.m. on May 1. That's one week from this coming Thursday. And then I hope to see you very shortly afterwards.