Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Saigon

We've made it to Vietnam. As this is my second time traveling to this country, I like to keep saying that I'm back in 'nam. Everett likes to say this is my second tour. Whatever the case, it's good to be back.

Before we went on this seven week trip, I was getting some complaints from Everett regarding the fact that I had "taken over" the trip. Apparently, me scheduling every second of the trip bothered him a little. So, one day, I gave him Vietnam. That's right. I gave him a country. Pretty generous if I do say so myself.

So, you can only imagine Everett's frustration when a day was cut from our time here due to Malaysian Airlines - this is his only country, after all. However, upon arrival, he launched right in. Unfortunately, when I had given Everett Vietnam I had forgotten that Everett has the worst sense of direction of anyone I've ever known. Ever.

So, about 30 seconds after we set out from our hotel with a destination in mind, we were lost. About 30 minutes after that we were walking next to what can only be described as looking like a major crater in the middle of the city on a dirt road dodging motorbikes left and right. At that point Everett swore that the place we were trying to go was on the opposite side of the crater. Laura and I insisted we get a taxi. Interestingly enough, the taxi headed the absolute opposite direction of the crater... for about two miles. Laura kept whispering that she wanted me to take back Vietnam. It's like we're starting the civil war again just within our group.

The afternoon was amazing though. We found a spa recommended by Lonely Planet that was a secluded old mansion at the end of wooded road in the middle of the city. Easily one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. And best of all, we paid about 30 dollars total for manicures, pedicures and 90 minute massages. I would do that every day for the next 4 weeks and never get tired of it. Everett says we can't though. He also kept muttering that this was not on his plan. And he refused to join in the fun with the manis and pedis.

Probably the most entertaining part of Saigon though really is the traffic. The city is known for it's motorbikes. And it is CRAZY. I mean, you can't really understand it until you've seen it. Basically, it's just like constant large crowds of people, on anything with wheels (including street carts, bikes, motorbikes, vespas, cars, taxis, buses, trucks... all of it) and they're all going at random speeds with no apparent laws. There's barely even a particular direction they're supposed to be following.

Once you're in a taxi, you feel relatively safe. However, walking presents a challenge. Everett likes to compare it to video games. Because that's what it feels like. You just start going across streets and pray that no one is going to take your foot off. And trust me, they get close. Like literally brushing up against you. It's terrifying. However, I'm winning the game. Ev says I'm up 120 points because I crossed like five minutes before he and Laura one time with two buses blocking all views. It was death defying. I may have cheered myself on from the other side. Laura is definitely losing. On our way home from dinner she got stuck in the middle of the street long enough for me to pull out my camera and take a picture. Everett pointed out to her that in this particular game, losing probably means she's going to need a plastic hip before she goes home.

Unfortunately, tonight is our last night in Saigon because of the flight problems. Tomorrow we head north.

I'm hoping this means I'm the winner of the game for the trip.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

You know, I always thought it was going to be some sort of exotic disease that would kill you on this trip... I hadn't counted on it being a moto-bike.

Enjoy your second tour of duty in 'nam!

Jenn said...

i forgot to mention how excited I was for you that you had a mani/pedi!

that had to feel like heaven.