Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Vietnam

Four years ago I traveled to Vietnam for the first time. At that time I stayed here for a little over two weeks. This time I've stayed here a week. It's kind of strange for me to realize that I've spent three weeks of my life in this country.

Mostly it's strange because I can still only speak about half a word of Vietnamese. It's not from lack of trying to understand, but Asian languages are, well, so foreign to me. The accents, the spellings, all of it. When Vietnamese people start speaking I just stand there looking very confused. Most of the time I assume they're saying "Look at that freakishly large American girl yelling at that tall guy." Because, that's what I'd be saying if I were them.

This trip has been very different from my last one in several ways. First and foremost because this trip didn't involve me spending an afternoon in a hospital bed thinking I was going to die. However, it's also been interesting to tackle Vietnam minus a tour guide. Not that Everett hasn't been a great guide with the help of his Lonely Planet book. It's just that I think he adds some stuff that might not actually be in the book. Like when we went to visit the Imperial Palace and he tried to tell me that Ho Chi Minh had been reincarnated into a peacock they had in a cage there. Or when he explained to me that Ho Chi Minh liked Pepsi so that was why they sold it there.

I do feel like I've gotten the hang of a few things in Vietnam though. Like, I can cross the street now without almost dying from a heart attack in fear that someone is going to run over my leg. And I've come to respect that "the Vietnamese will eat anything that sustains life" (-Lonely Planet). I appreciate people who eat random food. However, I will not eat a dog. This is something Everett and I differ on greatly. He wants to eat a dog. I feel like I couldn't look Rosie in the eye ever again if I did that. Plus, that sounds gross.

I also appreciate the ability to replicate just about anything here in Vietnam. Books, designer jeans, CDs, DVDs, handbags, belts, wallets... nothing is safe from duplication in this country. I am now the proud owner of two fake North Face bags and a Lacoste shirt. And I have big plans to purchase full sets of both LOST and Sex and the City before I'm out of Asia. Of course, occasionally things are lost in translation. Like the Armany shirt I saw last night and the Dolce and Gabanno bag a few days ago. It's tricky I suppose.

I like the people in Vietnam. That has remained the same for me since my last trip. With the exception of a few including the cab driver mentioned in a previous entry and a couple of crazy shop keepers, people in Vietnam always seem very friendly. At least they smile alot. Because, let's be honest, I have no idea what they're saying. But, those who do speak English are always very kind and we've made random connections along the way in this trip with people who have made us laugh and who have taught us a little bit about their culture beyond the cost of a fake handbag. I think those were the kind of people who made me want to come back here again.

So, this particular entry has been a lot of rambling, but we're finishing up in Hanoi today and are headed to Bangkok tonight. I have plans to eat Pad Thai for 8 days straight while we're there. We'll see if I can make it happen.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I am just relieved you are alive. There are those of us who depend on these entries to be kept aware of the state of being of their dear dear friends. Remember than when you consider forgoing the internet cafe for another round of pad thai in Bangkok. And please, (I can't believe I even have to say this, but after the story about the massage, I no longer have much faith in your good judgement), please don't let any strangers put anything in your bag. I don't know what it would take to get Colin Firth to come bail you out of a Thailand prison, but I don't think I have the connections that would make that possible, though I would certainly try.

Come home soon. I miss you too much.