Friday, April 11, 2008

Hoi An

So I can no longer see my blog. I don't really understand how this works, but let's be honest, there are a lot of things about computers I don't understand. In fact, pretty much everything. However, it is a real mystery to me how the internet in the town of Hoi An, in the middle of Vietnam, makes it so that I can post new blog entries, see that people have commented on old ones (but not see the comments) and see that my blog exists. But not see my blog. That's a fun little game. I've tried on about 8 different computers here and decided that probably my blog has just been blocked from all computers in communist Vietnam. I can only assume this is due to the intense political and social commentary I'm throwing around on here.

Anyway, we're in Hoi An. I visited here on my first trip to Vietnam and decided that it was probably one of my favorite places in the world, so I was very happy to return.

It's a small town in the northern part of southern Vietnam with a lot of influence from other Asian cultures including Japan and China. Despite Vietnam's recent history of almost constant war in the last century, Hoi An has been greatly spared. And it is beautiful. It's on the beach, but honestly I haven't even seen the beach. We've spent most of our time in the old town area and once I go to a place where the internet doesn't hate me, I'll post photos that will make it obvious why we've all been so enchanted by this town we decided to stay an extra night.

However, I have to be honest. Our enchantment isn't totally due to the historical significance, the beautiful streets or the friendly people. Hoi An is fairly touristy and it's known for it's shopping. And wow, does it have some shopping.

Really though, I'm not sure if you can describe what I've done the last few days as shopping or just pure retail gluttony. Everett compared me to a coke addict tonight because of my total inability to walk by any shop with brightly colored scarves, purses or clothes without stopping in for two, three, four or so hours and walking out having ordered multiple tailor made dresses.

I can't explain it really. It's like, I sit down, they give me ice water, they show me a dress, show me some fabric and suddenly I don't just want one. And I can't stop myself. Before I know it there are Vietnamese women who come up to my waist measuring me and oohing and ahhing over the giant in their shop.

But how can you resist clothes that they tailor make to fit you perfectly and do it in just a couple of hours? And it's cheap? I definitely can't resist. So I've given up trying. Today I bought a long black evening gown. I don't even know why.

Everett and Laura have done their fair share of shopping as well. In fact, Everett has dropped quite a few more dong than me because he bought a lot of suits. Going into these stores with Everett is one of the funnier things I've ever seen. He is so much taller than the women here that he doesn't even look real. And they get exceedingly excited when they see him because they realize that he is going to take up a lot of fabric. And fabric equals dong.

A little while ago the three of us all rode our bicycles (something that is, by the way, one of the most nerve wracking experiences of my life in this country of no traffic laws and millions of motor bikes) over to a shop to pick up some dresses Laura and I ordered. When we arrived the women assumed Everett was with me (I guess because we're both enormous to them) and started whispering loudly to me to get my boyfriend to buy something. The fact that every one here seems to think we're together disgusts Everett to no end so he loudly began announcing that I was his sister- something he's pretty much explained to everyone in Vietnam. I've never had to hear "we share the same parents and the same genes" so much in my life.

Ok, I'm off to pick up some more clothes. And then to buy a fake North Face bag to put them in. I have a problem.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

AHHH so jealous of the shopping!! Did you find something to wear to perhaps a few matrimonial events in June? Seriously. so jealous. I want a tailor made dress! Are you ever coming home? I really miss you. Ethan invited me to have lunch with the two of you in May when he is passing through to his sister's graduation. Though technically he mentioned "Yeah, and then I will see her in Charlotte when I am there in May." And when I remained stony silent he said, "Oh wait, you live in Charlotte, don't you?" It was a truly beautiful moment in our friendship.

One last thing....
WHERE THE F is my HAIKU!!!!!!

Ethan said...

She's exaggerating and I apologized profusely afterwards.