Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Thailand in Photos... Hong Kong in Words

I'm now just organizing my albums by country... something I probably should have been smart enough to do from the start, but the previous manner will have to do for now. Thailand was, unfortunately, a rather short stop on our trip. I say unfortunately because really all of us would have preferred that it was one of the longer ones, but due to timing we were a bit locked in.

We've spent the day in Hong Kong - the city where they say "East meets West." If that means that there are just as many Starbucks and McDonalds as there are any kind of Chinese restaurants, then yeah, it's where East meets West.

I had my first chai tea latte in weeks. I also experienced something else I haven't enjoyed in weeks: a day without sweat pouring out of every pore of my body. It was refreshing.

We did dim sum for lunch because, well, that's what you do in Hong Kong apparently. And, in our efforts to really embrace the culture, we ate some kind of crispy peking duck dish that took them forever to prepare and cost more than our beds last night. When it came, it was accompanied by some odd looking tortillas, some sauce and a few unidentifiable veggies. We looked at it for a long time. We had no idea what to do with it.

I hesitantly pulled one piece off with my chop sticks and put a little sauce on it, tasting it. Laura pulled a piece off and stared at it. Everett started to make a burrito out of it. About this time one of the waitresses walked by the table and looked at us as if we had smeared the sauce on each others arms and started gnawing on those. She started laughing and then came over to our table and prepared every last tortilla - she wasn't leaving anything to chance and clearly she thought it was obvious that we continued it would be a disaster. We were all grateful though as the duck tasted significantly better the way she did it.

We've tried to embrace the culture a few other ways as well. Today we went to a museum that taught me more about Hong Kong than I've ever known about the US. We also watched the nightly light show on the harbor. And we followed a random guy through a maze of smoky halls that smelled like bacon to see fake watches and handbags. So cultural.

Now I'm going to bed- luckily for our last night in this particular hotel. I learned today that where we're staying is the most densely populated area in the world. I think our building might be the most densely populated building in the area. Mostly by rats.

Enjoy the photos.

No comments: