Sunday, February 3, 2008

Chew this Over



Friday morning started just like any other day.

I arrived at work, threw my purse down next to my desk, walked over to chat with friends about what we’d done in the last 12 hours since we’d last seen each other, came back to my desk, pulled my window shade down to shield me from the bright morning sun, took my blueberry flavored Nutri Grain bar and Diet Sprite out of my bag, ate my “breakfast” while I checked my email and flipped through a copy of WWD. Typical Friday morning.

Until, I reached back into my bag and pulled out my pack of Orbitz spearmint gum. (Seen above) I was on my last piece.

I popped it out of the packaging, put it in my mouth and clicked over to read a few celebrity gossip blogs.

And this is where things got strange.

The gum was not spearmint. It was, without a doubt, original Bubble Gum flavored. It was delicious. It was refreshing. But it was definitely not what every other piece of gum in the spearmint labeled pack had been.

How does this happen?

I felt that I should share with others in my office, but no one seemed to have a good explanation of how the bubble gum made its way into the spearmint pack. I mean, in my mind, at the Orbitz plant, these gums are manufactured in totally separate rooms. Maybe even different buildings. And yet that one little piece was all sealed up in there, masquerading as spearmint.

I think is probably one of the great mysteries of our time. I know it’s something that will baffle me for years to come.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I don't know what i find more shocking... your discovery of bubble gum flavor in your mint pack.... or the fact that you might be the only person on the planet who is still sincerely dedicated to eating NutriGrain Bars.