Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Ibex

There’s a shop in the lobby of the building where I work that reminds me a little bit of a mix between Talbots and Chicos. I think this is mostly because those are stereotypical “mom” shops in my mind and this is definitely a “mom” shop. Occasionally (like once every six months), I’ll see something in the window that I think I might consider wearing, but then again, some days even Talbots can tempt me with a nicely cut sweater set. (Chicos with its “travel nylon” concoctions is staying away from my closet until I’ve succumbed to a minivan and elastic waistband jeans)

Anyway, I digress. So, every day I walk past this shop. And until about three weeks ago, the only reason I even bothered to look in the window was because it was more entertaining than staring at the marble floor beneath my feet. But that has changed.

The shop owners, in what I can only assume is a rather bizarre marketing ploy, have added a new addition to their storefront. Two miniature, stuffed Ibex. (On the off chance you don’t know what an Ibex is, let me educate you. It’s a mountain goat. This is something I didn’t know until our office manager Chris shared it with me. Tell me I don’t get an education at my job!)

So the Ibex (I don’t know the plural form, so I’m just going with that) are in windows, but each day, they change location. Sometimes they’re across the store from another. Sometimes they appear to be nuzzling. Other times they’re standing next to each other, gazing into the distance. And other times they’re gazing at each other.

Why are they there? No one is sure. Why do the workers in the store feel the need to move their location first thing every morning? We may never know. All I know is that those two little Ibex have given me new motivation for coming to work in the morning. What will they being doing today? These are the things I live for.

2 comments:

chris barry said...

I find it ridiculous how the entire online planet that I can only assume reads this blog once, twice, perhaps three times per day has not yet commented on the fact that you didn't know what an ibex was, that is until I graciously enlightened you. I bet your fans in Malaysia--or wherever ibexi (pl?) live--are laughing their collective heads off at the prospect that upper crust plantation-owning college-educated Americans such as yourself have somehow overlooked this majestically horned creature. And I'll tell ya something else, Ms. Crisscross, I DEMAND a future post about the nictitating membrane; perhaps in regards to Rosie (although I've also seen it spelled Rosey) and her reaction to a bowl full of spaghetti. She really digs in there, from what I understand.

Oh, and while I'm on my soapbox, lay off the Lost, okay? We worry about you. CB OUT!

chris barry said...

P.S. "Posted at 12:08pm" equals a dead giveaway about the "work" you're doing over there...