Saturday, February 9, 2008

R.I.P.(ped) Jeans

I have purchased many pairs of jeans in my life. They are, after all, one of my favorite things to wear. They go with anything, they’re relatively comfortable and occasionally, I even like the way I look in them.

About a month and a half ago I was vacationing in Charleston with some friends whose idea of “shopping” is kind of like a sport. It was like three days of hard core, shop to shop, checking out every last bit of available merchandise in the Charleston metropolitan area. I should have known there was a problem when on the second night of a trip we were sitting in a Bed, Bath and Beyond at 10 p.m. That is some serious shopping.

However, on that trip, I experienced one of those rare, elusive moments during which I was just casually rifling through a stack of jeans and decided to try on a pair that was on sale—and it fit. Perfectly. No tugging, stretching, belting etc needed. Just nice fitting jeans. I bought a pair and so did one of my friends.

Tonight, that pair of jeans pretty much disintegrated in my hands. I have worn them fairly frequently since my purchase. But, I mean, considering I only purchased them six weeks ago, there’s only so many times I could have worn them. And that number is definitely not enough to excuse what happened to those pants.

It started three days ago. I put them on to wear out to dinner and noticed that there were some odd worn patches on the left thigh. Then, yesterday, I put them on again and the worn patches were larger. Tonight, when I put them on, I squatted down to get something and two large holes ripped across the top of my leg. When I got into the car tonight after dinner, I heard a rather distinct ripping sound as a massive hole occurred across the back. (I cannot express how happy I am that did not happen earlier in the evening) I then decided to see just what kind of material we were dealing with here. By the time my friend dropped me at my condo, they were in shreds. I was pretty much wearing cutoffs in February. There are photos, but they will not be shared here because me wearing cutoffs in February is just as pretty as you might imagine.

The truly ironic part about the total destruction of the jeans is that this very evening, I had gone out with a friend in search of the same jeans. I couldn’t find another pair in my size. She, on the other hand, bought three pair. In one sense, that’s a little depressing since there is clearly an issue with the fabric. In another sense, with three, I figure she’s got a good 18 weeks ahead of her of wearing some of the most comfortable jeans I ever owned. And I’m a little envious.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

for the love of pete sarah, tell the world what kind of jeans they are so that none of us make the mistake of buying them!

SarahC said...

Wow. I feel like if this were for a journalism class I would have gotten a big fat F. Apparently when I'm writing these things at 12:30 a.m. my reporting skills aren't all they should be.

They were GAP jeans. I believe they're called "the Favorite." Or something like that. Whatever the case, I wasn't too worried about anyone else buying them because GAP no longer makes them. And as far as I could tell yesterday, unless you're a petite size 10 or a tall size 0, you're not going to find a pair of them out there. And if you're a tall size 0 you deserve bad jeans just to even out your score with the rest of humanity.

Jenn said...

Whew. Now I feel like I can shop safely.